Senior Structural Engineer
Founded in 1989, Alliance Engineering has grown to become one of the largest privately held multi- discipline engineering firms in central Virginia. Possessing vast experience and technical expertise, we deliver unparalleled value to our customers.
Alliance Engineering is a multi-discipline engineering consulting offices support manufacturing facilities and clients in mid-Atlantic with areas of specialization including: project feasibility studies, process improvement analysis, new process design, process upgrades, design, industrial capital projects, and detailed project/construction estimates. The company serves Fortune 500 companies in industries such as food processing, films, fibers, plastics, paper, chemicals, tobacco, pharmaceuticals, power, metals, personal care, and heavy manufacturing.
Our Structural Group is currently seeking an entrepreneurial spirited Senior Structural Engineer with expertise manufacturing environments. This is a full time/direct hire position that may be located in Richmond, VA or Newport News, VA areas. Previous consulting experience is a plus.
As a company recognized for exceptional commitment to employees, Alliance offers a wide variety of benefits, programs and services. Benefits include, but are not limited to, tuition assistance, medical, dental, vision, disability, group life insurance, 401(k), profit sharing, paid holidays and vacations.
Purpose of Position:
The Senior Engineer works independently on various projects as assigned by the department manager. They may oversee the entire design process or assist as a technical expert on a specialized design. The Senior Engineer may work on several concurrent projects. The Senior Engineer has gained extensive experience in all areas of design and is a recognized expert in one or more areas.
He/she has full responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing and coordinating assignments. Plans and develops engineering projects concerned with unique or complex problems which have an important effect on major company programs. This involves exploration of subject area, definition of scope and selection of problems for investigation, and development of novel concepts and approaches. Maintains liaison with individuals and clients within or outside his organization with responsibility for acting independently on technical matters pertaining to his/her field.
The following duties are typical of the position, but are not all encompassing. Each person is expected to help out in whatever duties are required to deliver a quality product on schedule.
· Assess the requirements of a project, break a project into tasks, and work with a department manager to determine scope of work, budget and staffing.
· Write scope of work for design based on preliminary review and meetings with the client.
· Prepare engineering studies and schematic design for new systems and analyze operation of existing systems.
· Knowledge of applicable codes. Work with code officials and other design professionals when an interpretation or exception to building codes is required.
· Assign and review work of project design team. Check progress of work and alert project engineer to change of scope or additional services.
· Coordinate all aspects of project document completion within company and externally with clients and other design professionals. Proficient written and oral communications skills.
· Prepare or review construction budgets based on experience and scope of project.
· Promote use of and participate in development of company design and production standards.
· Assist in the education and development of design staff and act as resource for design questions.
· Directs designers and CAD technicians for the generation of construction drawings.
· Oversees and is responsible for the overall technical aspects of project.
· Generates all appropriate communication records for proper dissemination of project information.
· Prepares reports and recommendations for the approval of department manager concerning direction of project.
· Acts as technical advisor to junior professional staff assigned to project.
· May serve as a field engineer during construction.
· May participate in presentations and sales effort.
Relationship to Others:
Reports directly to the department manager. Must be able to relate to clients in a mature and professional manner. The development of technical skills of subordinates is also a part of his position and requires patience, understanding and a genuine interest in the technical betterment of those in the firm. Works alongside various project engineers, according to assignment. Will often serve as contact with client, other design professionals and contractors. When in role of project leader, will coordinate and schedule work of project team. May help in performance appraisal of project team members.
Knowledge and Experience Required:
· Minimum ten years of previous design experience.
· Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering from an accredited university
· Must be proficient in the use of a computer for design and understand CAD operations.
· Encourages to participate in technical and professional societies.
· Keep current on the “state-of-the-art” in their design specialty through review of periodicals and continuing education.
· Completion of professional engineering license exam is encouraged.