Structural Design Engineer
Alliance Engineering is a design engineering and construction management firm seeking design engineers for their offices located in Richmond and Newport News. We offer competitive salaries and a terrific benefits package. We specialize in industrial facilities.
Purpose of Position:
This is a mid-level position involved in the application of engineering fundamentals to design of building systems. This is a developmental position in which the engineer learns to apply theoretical knowledge to practical applications. Performs a variety of routine tasks, which should provide experience and familiarization with the engineering staff, methods, practices, and programs of the company.
The following duties are typical of the position, but are not all encompassing. Each person is expected to help out in whatever duties are required to deliver a quality product on schedule.
· Performs routine design tasks such as foundations, platforms, pipe bridges, etc.
· Is encouraged to try to solve engineering problems using experience, judgment and education, but is expected to ask for assistance when needed. Uses computer to run standard programs in order to solve engineering problems.
· Research equipment selection from catalogs under direction of project designer/engineer.
· Expected to become proficient in the use of a computer for design and CAD applications.
· May prepare the drawings of designs he or she has originated or from sketches provided by other.
· Instructs drafters how to reduce designs into completed drawings.
· Performs research and writes reports.
· Travel to the project site to perform fieldwork.
· Understand and implement the applicable sections of the Alliance ISO 9000 Quality System Manual.
· Keep personal data updated to reflect current experience, training, registration and professional areas of expertise.
Limits of Authority:
· Has authority to perform design duties, which are checked for accuracy by others.
· Keeps project designer/engineer/department manager aware of work load and requests work when needed.
Relationship to Others:
Reports directly to department manager. Will work with department engineers and designers to assure coordination of project design..
Knowledge and Experience Required:
· Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering from an accredited university.
· Continued learning process by attending in-house seminars and continuing education opportunities outside of office. Completion of the EIT exam is encouraged.