Structural Design Engineer
Alliance Engineering is a growing, full service engineering and construction management firm with offices in Richmond, VA, Newport News, VA and Baltimore, MD. We specialize in small to medium size industrial projects. The majority of our clients are major industrial companies that can be found in the Fortune 500 listing. The ideal candidate will have an outgoing personality, be able to organize work, have 10+ years of working experience in a fast paced environment, preferably consulting.
Our Structural Group is currently seeking an entrepreneurial spirited Structural Design Engineer with expertise in manufacturing environments and the consulting industry. This is a full time/direct hire position that is located in Richmond, VA.
As a company recognized for exceptional commitment to employees, Alliance offers a wide variety of benefits, programs and services. Benefits include, but are not limited to, tuition assistance, medical, dental, vision, disability, group life insurance, 401(k), profit sharing, paid holidays and vacations.
Purpose of Position:
This is a mid-level position involved in the application of engineering fundamentals to design of building systems. This is a developmental position in which the engineer learns to apply theoretical knowledge to practical applications. Performs a variety of routine tasks, which should provide experience and familiarization with the engineering staff, methods, practices, and programs of the company.
The following duties are typical of the position, but are not all encompassing. Each person is expected to help out in whatever duties are required to deliver a quality product on schedule.
· Performs routine design tasks such as foundations, platforms, pipe bridges, etc.
· Is encouraged to try to solve engineering problems using experience, judgment and education, but is expected to ask for assistance when needed. Uses computer to run standard programs in order to solve engineering problems.
· Research equipment selection from catalogs under direction of project designer/engineer.
· Expected to become proficient in the use of a computer for design and CAD applications.
· May prepare the drawings of designs he or she has originated or from sketches provided by other.
· Instructs drafters how to reduce designs into completed drawings.
· Performs research and writes reports.
· Travel to the project site to perform fieldwork.
· Keep personal data updated to reflect current experience, training, registration and professional areas of expertise.
Limits of Authority:
· Has authority to perform design duties, which are checked for accuracy by others.
· Keeps project designer/engineer/department manager aware of work load and requests work when needed.
Relationship to Others:
Reports directly to department manager. Will work with department engineers and designers to assure coordination of project design..
Knowledge and Experience Required:
· Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering from an accredited university.
· Continued learning process by attending in-house seminars and continuing education opportunities outside of office. Completion of the EIT exam is encouraged.