Structural Designer with AutoCAD
Founded in 1989, Alliance Engineering has grown to become one of the largest privately held multi- discipline engineering firms in central Virginia. Possessing vast experience and technical expertise, we deliver unparalleled value to our customers.
Alliance Engineering is a multi-discipline engineering consulting offices support manufacturing facilities and clients in mid-Atlantic with areas of specialization including: project feasibility studies, process improvement analysis, new process design, process upgrades, design, industrial capital projects, and detailed project/construction estimates. The company serves Fortune 500 companies in industries such as food processing, films, fibers, plastics, paper, chemicals, tobacco, pharmaceuticals, power, metals, personal care, and heavy manufacturing.
Our Structural Group is currently seeking an entrepreneurial spirited Structural Designer with expertise in manufacturing environments and the consulting industry. This is a full time/direct hire position that is located in Richmond, VA.
As a company recognized for exceptional commitment to employees, Alliance offers a wide variety of benefits, programs and services. Benefits include, but are not limited to, tuition assistance, medical, dental, vision, disability, group life insurance, 401(k), profit sharing, paid holidays and vacations.
As a fully competent designer in all conventional aspects of the subject matter or the functional area of the assignments, plans and conducts work requiring judgement in the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria. Devises new approaches to problems .
Independently performs most assignments with instructions as to the general results expected. Receives technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed plans for projects. Supervises a few engineers or technicians on assigned work.
The following duties are typical of the position, but are not all encompassing. Each person is expected to help out in whatever duties are required to deliver a quality product on schedule.>
• Make calculations using engineering formulas and skills for design such as heating and cooling loads, lighting calculations, power distribution calculations and equipment sizing.
• Develop specialized drawings such as plumbing isometrics and risers or electrical diagrams.
• Select equipment based on recommendations of project designer/engineer and fill out equipment schedules.
• Provide drawing for own designs and/or produce sketches to incorporate in drawings by CAD technicians.
• Research design options and document findings for lead engineer.
• Provide information to project lead engineer for incorporation into specifications.
• Review shop drawings.
• Travel to site to perform fieldwork.
• Research code issues and ask general questions of code officials.
• Organize and maintain project files.
• Assure that drawings and designs are in accordance with company production and design standards.
• Keep project engineer informed of work load and any changes in project scope or additional services.
• Work with the department manager to develop scopes of work and corresponding manhour estimates for proposals.>
• Direct other CAD technicians and designers for full development of project specifications and drawings.
• Keep personal data updated to reflect current experience, training, registration and professional areas of expertise.
Limits of Authority:
Has authority to perform moderately complex design duties which are checked for accuracy by others. May not exceed budgeted hours on task without approval of project engineer. May not change the scope of work or deviate from any part of the contractual documents without project engineer’s approval.
Relationship to Others:
Reports directly to department manager. Within team, has contact with CAD technicians and senior design staff. Has contact with equipment suppliers. Limited contact with clients and contractors. Works directly for the various project designer/engineers, according to assignment.
Knowledge and Experience Required:
• Minimum five years of previous design experience.
• Expertise in AutoCAD
• Continue learning process by attending in-house seminars and continuing education opportunities outside of office.