Alliance Engineering is a growing, full service engineering and construction management firm with offices in Richmond, VA, Newport News, VA and Baltimore, MD. We specialize in small to medium size industrial projects. The majority of our clients are major industrial companies that can be found on the Fortune 500 listing. The ideal candidate will have an outgoing personality, be able to organize work, have 10+ years of managing projects in a consulting environment. Position will be responsible for the successful execution of projects from proposal through completion and closeout. The Project Manager will draw on members of the organization to provide the project team with the resources, technical guidance, administrative and technical services, and facilities necessary for efficient, profitable, timely and technically excellent project execution.
Our Project Management Group is currently seeking an entrepreneurial spirited Project Manager with expertise in managing multiple projects. The positions are full time, direct which are located in the following areas: Richmond, VA; Newport News, VA and Shenandoah Valley, VA
At Alliance, we believe project managers are one of the keys to the success of our business. From business development, to proposal development, project execution, and project closure, our project managers are the focal point of our client relationships and ensure client satisfaction by facilitating projects to include a well-defined scope, realistic schedule, and reasonable budget. Strong communication skills are used throughout the project life cycle to manage scope changes, project risk, the project team, and client relations. The project manager reports to the Director of Project Management.
• Participate in firm and market sector annual business plan development and execution by making client contacts, proposal preparation, proposal interviews and presentations, and client
maintenance and follow-up after project completion.
• Participate in public relations by preparing project summaries for public release and by participating in community activities and professional organizations.
• Obtain and provide appropriate project information and client references for use in company marketing and proposal activities including project descriptions, project completion data,
project photos, and letters of reference. Keep personal data updated to reflect current experience, training, registration and professional areas of expertise.
• Maintain up to date information on business development activities, contact and client information, and prospects within the firm’s enterprise resource planning (ERP) platform.
• Work with the Business Development team and client relationship managers on establishing new relationships and leveraging existing ones for new business.
• Develop win strategies for each request for proposal (RFP), draft and finalize proposals with input from the design team, construction management, and sub-consultants, and facilitate
PROJECT EXECUTION – DESIGN PHASE
• Coordinate and communicate required pre-construction tasks.
• Promote the development of bid packages, contractor pre-qualification, pre-bid meetings and walkdowns, and contract negotiation with the construction management (CM) department.
• Work with the Director of CM to select appropriate field supervision to monitor work and provide oversight of activities during project execution, ensure all required documentation is
being created and maintained, and ensure compliance with site safety requirements.
• Maintain liaison with the client and engineering as necessary during the pre-construction and construction phases of a project, facilitate Requests for Information (RFIs) and
Submittals, ensuring adequate time to respond and timely and accurate responses.
• Coordinate activity between field inspection personnel and production personnel in matters of additional drawings, as-built drawings, samples, equipment and shop drawings.
• Work with the assigned Construction Manager to:
o Evaluate construction time schedules and progress to anticipate troubles and delays, take the initiative to challenge the contractor (preferably in writing) before a delay occurs.
o Advise the client when the construction period exceeds contractual limit so the provisions of the owner agreement are fulfilled in order to obtain additional fee for services
during the extended construction period.
o Initiate and execute Construction Change Notices (CCNs) and subsequent change orders with contractors and the client.
o Insist on good performance by the construction superintendents, and, where necessary, establish a written record of the firm’s concern in this area to both the contractors and
o Examine and approve monthly certificates for payment and validate against actual work performed in the field in accordance with the contract, verify and process all guarantees and
operating instructions required by specifications.
o Arrange for a final inspection and establish a date of acceptance for each project and prepare final certificates for the approval of the client after execution of a punch list (as
o Approve samples and material substitutions in the field in conjunction with the field representative, client and engineer as required.
o Schedule and arrange for regular periodic visits of office engineering and architectural personnel on the site as required and see that they provide adequate and competent field
• PMs are not authorized to exceed budgets without appropriate authorization.
• Responsible for initiating client billings and monitoring accounts receivable.
• Ensure sub-consultant invoices are processed for timely payment.
• Advise the Director of Project Management, Market Sector Leaders, and Discipline Leads of issues involving projects, including schedule, budget, and personnel issues.
• Actively participate in Operations, Project Management, Business Development, and firm meetings.
• Initiate and participate in process and efficiency improvements. Facilitate project lessons learned and subsequent action items.
• Recognize peers and project team members for outstanding work.
• Minimize overhead of self and project team members.
SKILLS and EXPERTISE:
• This position requires either a Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering with at least eight years of experience, or a vocational technical degree with at least 10 years of
• Experience with understanding of building and engineering codes.
• Must have the ability to utilize computer systems as a tool to effectively manage projects.
• Understanding of CAD operations.
• Must keep current in their job specialty through continuing education.
• Must be capable of managing multiple projects and multiple project teams.
• Proficiency with the following skills: communication, leadership, planning, team work, decision making, judgment, and problem solving.
• Market knowledge of power generation, chemical or shipbuilding industries
• Experience of the consulting industry